Andira is the story of us — of our past, our present and our future. It’s the story of how a broken and battered world can find unity and peace … and balance. It’s a story of how choices affect fate and how destiny affects choice. It’s a story of redemption and salvation. Andira’s darkness is our darkness. Andira’s light is our light. With the conflict between light and dark within Andira, and within us, how do we make the right choices?
The story of Andira spans centuries of time. It will be told through a series of novels and picture books. Some novels will be part of multi-book character and story arcs. They will be written in a variety of genres and for a diverse readership. Some of the ideas already in progress include: epic, young adult fantasy; teen science fiction; young adult steampunk; and talking animals middle-grade novels; and picture books.
As of November 2012, my priorities are securing an agent for The Darkness (complete at 85,000 words) and drafting Sins of the Father (currently 28,000 words).
- The Darkness – A male-centered, young adult fantasy novel, drawing inspiration from Native American sources: Seraphus must go on a quest to save his village. This is a story about emotion and its ability to transform the world. Seraphus must confront the power of his emotions, and the consequences of them, as he tries to save his people from destruction.
- Sins of the Father – A sci-fi, dystopian teen novel: Nearing his eighteenth birthday, Simon already carries The Debt – a lifetime obligation to pay the Enclave for the privilege of his DNA. But when he shares a night with Maia, a slave girl from The Colony, Simon worries that he has passed on his Debt to a new generation. He resolves to end the Debt for himself – and for everyone else.
- The Light – A young adult, science-fantasy novel: As a sequel to The Darkness, Seraphus looks for redemption for the damage he caused in completing his quest to save his people and his village. What he finds will cause him to question himself, his beliefs, and his role in fulfilling The Prophecy.
- Creepers and Dust – A novella, being expanded into a full-length, young adult novel with a Western flair: Tomas runs a dusty, dirty plantation called The Pit. The Enclave demands its quota of crops. But the choking dust stifles all growth. The downward spiral of his hopelessness and helplessness is changed by Semyon, an eleven-year-old orphan whose strength of sprit transforms slavery into freedom.
- Masters of Death – A young adult, steampunk novel: Seventeen year-old Scarlet is the leader of an otherwise all-male, turn-of-the-twentieth century secret society. Her research into resurrection and redemption has far-reaching consequences for her lifetime … and those far in the future.
- The Guardians – A middle-grade, talking animals novel: The animal Guardians of Andira have long worked to keep their world in perfect balance. But when a new creature arrives, they must learn acceptance and understanding – before they fall victim to The Darkness.
- Anaria’s Song – A post-apocalyptic, teen novel – Sixteen year-old Anaria and her companion, Semyon, embark on a series of adventures, traveling across the broken, slowly healing world of Andira. They discover a terrible truth about their world and the revelation will push their relationship to the breaking point … with profound consequences for themselves and for the rest of Andira.